History of Fenagh Hall 1912-present

Timeline of the Building

Fenagh Hall was first opened as a Temperance Hall on October 25th 1912.  It was burned by the Black and Tans in early 1920 and repaired and reopened around 1925.  Some events in the hall throughout the early years included GAA conventions, drama groups, dances, concerts, 25 card drives. Fenagh Fife and Drum Band had their practices here during the 40’s.  It was used as dance hall in the 1930s to 50’s.  It struggled financially and fell into disrepair in the 50’s around the time the Ivy Leaf dancehall started up.  It was then used by the local GAA club as a meeting and changing room area throughout the 1960’s and 70’s. In 1974 a general meeting of the hall members and parishioners agreed that the hall be officially made a parish hall run by a committee representative of the whole parish and developed as a community centre.  It fell into disrepair and remained neglected and derelict until the early 90’s when maintenance work was carried out as part of a FAS scheme under the supervision of Fenagh Development Committee.

It was opened as Fenagh Visitor Centre in 2005 and now offers a Heritage Centre, Children’s Indoor Play Area, Café and Meeting/Training Rooms .  The Centre is open 7 days a week and hopefully in another 100 years the building will still be a hive of activity in the community just like it was back in 1912.

100 Years of Fenagh Hall – A Celebration

A celebration evening was held in Fenagh Visitor Centre on October 19th 2012 to commemorate the 100th year of the building.  The evening commenced with Fr Sean Burke PP blessing the hall followed by local historian Fr Liam Kelly who gave a very interesting and informative talk on the history of the time.  The crowd were then entertained by local Fenagh setdancers, sean nos dancers, irish dancers, musicians and singers.   There were various documents, photographs, maps and artefacts on display showcasing the history of the building and the varied historical sites of Fenagh including the Abbeys, Standing Stones, Dolmen and Passage Tombs.   The night concluded with a presentation to Fr Liam Kelly  of a framed photo of Fenagh Abbey.

CLICK HERE TO VIEW PHOTOS OF THE NIGHT …

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

*
*

  • Follow Us